Saturday, January 10, 2009

Funny Morning

I meant to leave at 9:30 this morning for some me time. I left at 10:30 after a good Gracie girl barf session on her Panthers game day outfit, losing my makeup bag, and getting a call from mom I didn’t want to miss. I decided to pack up for Starbucks. Genius. 10:30am on a Saturday morning is a very peaceful time to search for a good comfy spot at a Starbucks. Ha. In all, I visited three, count them, three Starbucks in an attempt to settle down with my laptop. Recently Jason saw this picture of a huge group of people in Pakistan who were making their way back from a religious celebration and they were literally dangling from this train, the entire thing covered like a mess of ants stuck to a stick of honey. And I said to him, 'why in the world would anyone do that? (dangle dangerously off a train) That is so stupid.' I tend to say that phrase a lot and should probably back off it. Anyhow, not only were there no seats in any of the three stores, but it was laughable how much this religious parade scene reminded me of these coffee spots this morning. I mean, people were desperate for seats. It’s like if they could just shove themselves into a little tiny spot, eventually they could pull in other pieces of furniture and in the meantime they would all sit on top of each other. And I was planning on just being a coffee sipping vulture but I already spotted some who had hunkered down, like homeless people, just marking their territories and I knew it wasn’t my place to stick around. Do you know where I ended up? In my desperation I ended up at blasted McDonalds. I am sitting in a very empty fast food restaurant with the worst elevator music imaginable in a round booth with my laptop. I am certainly out of place. When I reluctantly ordered, I had to turn away not one, not two, but three order-happy employees ready to plump me up. I didn’t want a mc coffee. I wanted a Starbucks. (sigh). I begrudingly ordered an americano, an orange juice (since pregnancy makes me so dehydrated) and two apple pies (because it’s 2 for a dollar and if you only buy one it’s 89 cents – what?). If McDonalds wants to get in on this mc cafe thing, they’ve got to get a few things down. One. It feels like a hospital floor in here and everything is so echo-y and dull. Not a great ambiance for people who wish they were in Starbucks. Two. If you’re going to serve coffee drinks, at least set up a coffee condiment bar. Geez. I had to ask for my creamers and sugars after I had dug through their little bins. And they wouldn’t just give me a generous handful; they wanted to know exactly how many I wanted. Well, if I am pouring the creamer at a real coffee place it would probably equal like five little creamer containers, but you had to go and make me feel like a mouch for asking for three, so I guess I will be bugged that it isn’t creamy enough so I don’t have to deal with social disappointment. I sound quite irritated. Well the truth is that it’s weird that I am sitting in here, legs crossed in my booth, my meal clearly not the reason I am here, and glances every once in a while from the true McDonalds fans who are here to eat a lot and a lot very quickly. I guess I should think of a few positives before this gets to far. Starbucks could use some booths like the semi-circle one I am sitting in. It’s cozy and personal. Ridiculous amounts of seating would also be nice like in here. Yeah, I thought I would be able to think of more, but that’s gonna be it ;). Alright, this was kind of fun to rant about but now I am off to actually write and attempt to get some me time...at McDonalds. Still funny.

2 comments:

leta flowers said...

Loved this! You have a very comedic way of looking at the world! I was just in the Starbucks @ East Blvd today to get a cuppacoffee and I was sooo drawn to just find a corner and hibernate. What is it we want when we are there? It is definitely a phenomenon and it is not about the coffee, I think people are desiring the community and a place to belong. Or is it a place to retreat???
Anyway, the ants on a train analogy was good- reminded me of the snack we used to make! Love you!
By the way, I am having password issues and that is why I have not responded to your blogs lately. I never can remember which password goes where! My brain is FULL of passwords!

Kara said...

This is funny. I have been tempted to try McDonald's coffee but can't bring myself to do it.
Have you tried Duncan Donuts coffee? So good and cheap. I know that must be like a sin though, with Jason working for Bucks.