Thursday, September 3, 2009

I never thought I would be into

Lately I seem to be thinking and/or saying "I didn't USED to think I'd be into ___ but now I totally am" so I started making a list...

Here are some things I never thought I would be into...

1. VANS. This has to be number one. My friends who went before me in the kid arena totally fell for it and I was their biggest critic. When the girls were on the way I got over it in about five seconds flat when I realized what rough traveling road was ahead. Automatic doors, low seating, movable seats and rows, and a jet engine none of your cars can beat at a stoplight overturned my stubborn ways. Odyssey, here's to you. (Kalle and Shawn - you are so going to give in one day. Keep saying no way and I'll keep smiling).

2. CROCS. They have GOT to be the ugliest shoes known to man. UGLY. But two things overturned my ways. One. They came out with a babydoll version and my friend Jamie had some and I fell in love with them on her. She bought me a pair and I couldn't take them off. Secondly and more convincingly I am now obsessed with them b/c this summer they have been the easiest and most versital shoes to throw on the girls' feet. Playground, water day, or long walk - they work for everything. And the girls love them. Thank you UGLY CROCS!

3. HIGH HEELS. Staying on the shoe theme...my newly bought high heels are the social envy of my closet. I can't really even glance at my other shoes b/c they are all shiny and fancy free sitting there on the floor and the rest of my shoes are kind of a shameful sight. I buy a pair like once every six months and I am kind of a grandma about them being comfy and friendly to my arch. In case some of you were wondering from my other post about these one hit wonders in my possession, here's a pic of them being worn by Grace.


4. CAR DVD PLAYERS. I was suuuuuper judgemental about this one. I was that mom who was all about not having a dvd player going in the car, even on long road trips, because I was just going to tell them no and they would play happily with something else! Haaaaaaa!!! Three kids later and loooots of tears and tantrums later I have realized that it is very very very difficult to entertain an antsy toddler in the car, from the front seat, while keeping a seat belt on and being carsick free (since you are looking backwards so much). So. We bought a portable dvd player with a bar that hangs it between our seats in the front. Life got a LOT better. For those of you having those same judging thoughts right this minute...I've got lots of grace for you and it totally doesn't bother me at all b/c I can remember why I felt that way. We'll just have to disagree ;).

5. MCDONALDS. I really think McDonalds was a divinely inspired deal. The food. The playgym. The icecream (well that's for me). Oh and now they're geniouses and have sweet tea. I could go to a McD drive through JUST for the sweet tea now, even if all my kids were totally over being in the car for five more minutes. Also, eating out with kids turns out to be a huge nightmare. One baby...not so bad (when we take Salem on vaca with us, we feel like we're kid free). But all three - crazy crazy hilarious (if you let yourself laugh) nightmare. I am a realist - no sugaring this one. So McDonalds is nice - it just always works. And I just don't want to know what's in the nuggets, fries or dips. Tell me in ten years.

6. SUNSCREEN. When I was younger I remember my hatred for this. I would ask my mom for the lowest number she could find. The sheer act of rubbing a slimy texture all over me totally grossed me out - that part kind of still does. But now I am slightly obsessed with dousing my kids and also the funniest part is that they wear like #60 and instead of searching for the #30, I just use theirs too. I literally have no care in the world for a dark suntan anymore. I have never been to a tanning bed and it will NEVER make this list. Promise.

7. KIDS CDS. I smile big time writing this. I currently have about 5 cds in my car dvd player. I think one of them is Hillsong - a Christian band. The others include Wee Bible songs and cds that go with books on counting and colors. I totally don't mind them. In fact if it gets rough in the car, I blast them and sing along. I can't believe it doesn't bother me. Never saw that one coming.

Okay...those are just a few. I know there are a zillion more because as years go by and different things become important to you, you change what you're okay with and what you like. However I must say I should probably come up with another list b/c I think there must be a pretty long "Stubborn List" of things I will never ever change my mind about ;)

4 comments:

jasonbradley said...

Funny stuff babe - only clarification I would make is that we only use the DVD player on long trips and we've only used it about 3 times now (and only "for a time" on those rides).

This is a funny post - I like it.

kalle said...

ok listen, i'm not totally opposed to the van but literally only because of the automatic doors. if the suburban people make automatic doors, i'll never go van. but you DO have a nice one kelly

and i am so proud of you about the heels i can't stand it

Jackie said...

ha ha! funny how parenthood changes us, isn't it? i heartily agree with your list, especially the high heels. nothing makes me feel better than a fabulous pair of heels. i don't even care if i'm covered in baby spit up as long as i'm in heels.

Kara said...

This post makes me happy.