Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I'm in the South

It's not like the scenery is even much to take a picture of here in the flat Piedmont, but when I am here it feels like it must be my favorite place in the world. Not favorite like a resort on Kannapali beach on Maui. Not favorite like the beach house at Wild Dunes. Not favorite like travels to Europe and Asia that we always dream about for down the road. More like favorite because it feels so good. Favorite because home is more special to me than most anything.



This is the longest amount of time I have spent here in a very long time, and not having been here in over a year, I am filling each day with as much southern bliss as I can. I have taken a lot of pictures and want to share what has been going on so far.

Mom and I arrived Friday night with all three kids after a much needed layover in Chicago for a happy meal, ring around the rosy (until Grace threw up) and changing lots of diapers.

Saturday we spent most of the day hearing shrieks of "Cassie!" and "Pepper!" although they mostly prefer to refer to both dogs as Cassie. The girls visited with Pop and Uncle T (my brother Travis) a while that morning and then we took the girls to my favorite park, Freedom Park, just across the street from the Geneva Court house I grew up in. It's not the closest one to my parents' house now, but it's the only place I wanted to bring the girls.

Sunday brought a slew of family members: Grandma Doris, Aunt Ruthie, Aunt Becky, and Uncle Pace. The girls were angels, which was a little confusing since they usually take a while to adjust, but I'll take angel over handful for sure.


Monday morning we all went to play at Granddaddy and Gram's house, the highlight being the kitty cat and the yoga exercise ball in the backyard. The lowlight being the 10 or so quarter sized mosquito bites I got on my legs. This pic is of Kanah playing with an old set of doll furniture at Grandmother Chandler's that I used to play with. These are the kinds of flooding memories and feelings I like to be surprised with when I come here. And to watch them play with something I played with is mesmerizing. I also got to go out with my super busy little brother Travis, aka Uncle T (you can see me making a T with my two forarms, like we do for the girls when he's around).


Tuesday Salem and I headed to Grandma Doris' place. She drowns me in refreshments when I come over, which I love. We had good conversations about most of our family members, what she is doing these days (mostly making visits to people at church), and a good dialogue about the concept of "dropping in" in the south. NWers just don't do that. She rolled around on the floor w/ Salem and I got some great shots. I mostly just liked listening to her accent and anticipating her next question - she is greaaaat at questions. (Which you know I love).


Tuesday evening I got to hang out with some of my favorite people in the world: Robbi, Janet, Ali and Rian Fischer. I don't even know what to write about them b/c it will fall short. Let's just say I felt incredibly blessed that they let me come over and just banter back and forth for a while. xoxo to them.

And today...Jason got here!!! Yay! He's glad to be here. I like to see him on vacation b/c he's a different person. He's only three hours into his trip and already he's off having lunch w/ a friend. It will be a continual worldwind but we love it.

More to come...!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Not sure how long you are home, but would love to see you if you have extra time. Your family is beautiful!